Friday, September 23, 2016

FOOD | No Skill required: Teriyaki Chicken Wings


When I was in college, every Monday, a restaurants nearby will host wing night, $7.99 for endless wings with student ID. It was one of the best memories I had throughout my entire fours years of college. Normally I don't really know how to deal with chicken wings other than fry them or three cups chicken, but my husband doesn't like three cups chicken, and I don't want to get sick of fried chicken, so I don't normally buy wings, even though I love it.

One day, my husband came home with a FAMILY pack of wings!

"Because it was only $0.99 a pound... "

uhhhhhhhh''

Then, I remembered how my mom used to make me teriyaki chicken wings, and they were delicious!! After a quick search, I came up with this amazing recipe and they taste absolutely amazing!!

Here is what you need:

5lb chicken wings (you really don't need to cook this much....)
About 10 slices of ginger
3 cloves of garlic
few dried pepper (adjust to your preference)
2 Star Anise
5 pieces of rock sugar (rock sugar is preferred, but if you cannot find it, regular sugar would do)
1 tbsp Light Soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine/shaoxing wine
1 tbsp salt (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp water

Step 1: Add wings to boiled water, take out after second boil
    
Step 2: Add oil in your wok, after oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and pepper
Step 3: After garlic turn slight yellow, add chicken, stir until slightly brown
Step 4: Take chicken out, leave the oil in the wok, add rock sugar, fry until fully dissolved.
This step is very important because that's how we get the beautiful golden color.
Step 5: Add the chicken back in

Isn't the color beautiful??

Step 6: Add your soy sauce, shaoxing wine, star anise, salt, and water, low heat, let it boil for 20minutes. DONE


If you made this, please let me know how you like it! I would love to know your feedback.
Happy Cooking ❤️



JE

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know about "cook" the sugar! COOLLLL transformation

    ReplyDelete
  2. gonna try this tonight!! thxx

    ReplyDelete